What is CMMI?
Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) is a process improvement and appraisal program implemented by Carnegie Mellon University. The certified level of Capability Maturity is required by many US and European customers especially in government or elsewhere in larger software development projects, where SMEs can be involved as suppliers. CMMI has 5 different maturity levels, Levels 4 and 5 of course is more dedicated to large organizations. Some people think, that CMMI in general is only for huge organisations. This is not true! CMMI Level 2 and 3 can be easily achieved by smaller organizations as well, and there are many advantages of doing so.
Let us list the most important pros and cons of aiming to achieve CMMI maturity for small and medium sized businesses:
- Increase trustworthiness as an outsourcing partner
- Improve company image and marketing
- Comply with the requirements of large companies or government tenders
- Improve product quality for all future products
- Deliver on time and budget to satisfy clients
- Generate new business
- May generate additional overheads and higher costs
- Limits Agility in our development efforts
CMMI provides new business potential for companies in all IT markets. To leverage all this potential (fulfilment of tender requirements or improvement of performance), companies have to start with their processes. The good news is, they don't need to start from scratch. CMMI is a very comprehensive guideline across projects, divisions, or an entire organization specialized on software development. It gives you guidance on achieving process maturity, making it easier to achieve the level required for your goals.
According to the statistics CMMI Level 2 and 3 can be easily achieved by SMEs by implementing the defined processes and managing them adequately. The challenge for smaller companies is getting all those gains while avoiding the pains like overhead, cost, and reduced Agility. A smart platform can help achieve this goal.
Quick and lean CMMI implementation with codeBeamer ALM
CMMI requires that your organization has planned and managed processes. codeBeamer ALM helps you reduce the time and effort costs of implementing CMMI, and maintain this lean approach in future projects. codeBeamer supports the quick implementation of CMMI and lean operation with:
- A single, holistically integrated platform with a single repository for requirements, development, testing, and deployment data, collaboration, documentation, as well as versioning and total baselining
- Lifecycle-wide traceability
- Built-in features for project planning, release management, delivery, including reporting and dashboards for controlling
- Advanced & transparent collaboration features
- Collaborative documentation and Wiki management features
- Highly customizable workflow-driven task and issue management
- Great reporting features, full change history, granular access control